Jersey City Golden Door Charter School 3026 John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Jersey City, NJ
With financing secured in December 2010, Build with Purpose renovated the stately St. John the Baptist school building in Jersey City into Golden Door Charter School’s new home. Renovations were completed on time in July 2011 for the school to open its doors in the new building in September 2011.
Founded in 1998, Golden Door has been leasing space since it first opened. While its current building provides adequate space, the new site provides more program space at a more affordable price. At 72,000 square feet, the former school is a beautiful historic structure with exceptional architectural detail. The building includes a full-size gymnasium or auditorium that seats 750 people, complete with a mezzanine and a stained glass skylight that encompasses the entire ceiling.
Working closely with the Archdiocese of Newark, the Build with Purpose team was able to negotiate a favorable lease that met the long-term needs of both the school and the Diocese and that also allowed the school to leverage nearly 20% more financing than a traditional purchase would have allowed.
Former Catholic School Built in 1914 Transformed into Charter School
Construction begins at Golden Door Charter School’s new building
READS links Golden Door Charter School, vacant Catholic school